A very early parthenocarpic cucumber "Cedric f1" is ideal for cultivation in the first and second turns, as well as for crops in heated greenhouses. A balanced open-type vegetable crop with a very developed root system quickly gained popularity among Russian gardeners.
The description and characteristics of the new hybrid form from Enza Zaden are interesting not only for gardeners engaged in homestead cultivation of this crop, but also for vegetable farmers of small farms cultivating cucumbers year-round.
Cedar "Cedric f1" forms at least two ovaries in each node, from which green leaves are formed with a maximum length of 12-14 cm. Zelentsy have a very attractive appearance, are characterized by a dark green uniform staining without the presence of streaks and streaks.
The form of Zelents is elongated-cylindrical, the ratio of the length of the fruit to its diameter is on average 3.75 to 1. The manufacturer claims high resistance of the hybrid form to olive spotting, or cladosporiosis, medium resistance to damage by powdery mildew, cucumber mosaic virus and cucumber yellowish virus.
Advantages and disadvantages
Cedar "Cedric f1" has not only an external appeal, but also a lot of advantages:
- powerful and well-developed root system;
- bundle ovaries;
- the possibility of year-round cultivation;
- receiving superearly vegetable products;
- high quality and excellent presentation of Zelentsy;
- stable and high productivity;
- stress resistance, temperature changes and insufficient lighting do not adversely affect growth, development and productivity;
- intensive yield during the entire fruiting period;
- the average yield of the hybrid form is at least 18-22 kg per square meter of cucumber ridges.
The disadvantages include the rather high cost of planting material.
How to plant cucumbers on seedlings
Hybrid cucumbers "Cedric" are very high productivity, which suggests the presence of a significant amount of minerals for proper nutrition of plants. Hybrid forms have excellent endurance and quick adaptation to the presence of a high amount of salts in the soil, therefore, this hybrid form can be cultivated in regions characterized by increased salinity of planting soil in the area, as well as with increased EU water.
Sowing seeds should be carried out after complete warming up of the soil at a depth of 10-14 cm. Landing is carried out by a tape method. The standard distance between plants is not less than 25 cm. The size of the row-spacing should allow problem-free plant care, as well as provide the vegetable crop with a sufficient nutrition area for plentiful fruiting.
Before planting seeds or planting seedlings, each planting hole should be abundantly poured with warm water, and then a small amount of humus and wood ash should be added, which will accelerate the adaptation of seedlings and the germination of planting material. To protect against late spring frosts, temporary cover of crops with garden film is used.
Cucumbers called "Cedric f1" are not too demanding on growing conditions, but are responsive to competent care:
- optimal temperature indices of air should average not less than 20-22 ° С;
- watering is carried out as the soil dries up and are especially important for plants at the stage of filling greenhouses;
- only warm water is used for irrigation, but it is best to use the drip irrigation system for irrigation, which will not only moisten the soil, but also feed the plants with liquid fertilizers;
- in the absence of a drip irrigation system for plants, organic fertilizers can be used as fertilizers, which should alternate with mineral compounds;
- as necessary, weeding cucumber ridges, as well as removing the soil crust by shallow cultivation, is carried out.
In cucumber plants, the first five nodes should be blinded. Prior to the trellis design, it is recommended that the plant be kept in one stem with the removal of side shoots. The apical part of the plants, after the main stem has grown to the trellis, is pinched by a growth point about three leaves above the structure, followed by entwining with the stalk of the trellis. Pinching the main stem helps to stimulate the growth of short lateral shoots, which allows for a more intense yield.
Cucumbers from the Dutch selection called "Cedric f1" received a large number of positive reviews from both private gardeners and small farmers. Seed germination is very good and does not fall below 97-98%. Cucumbers have a great taste, do not have large seeds, and bitterness and voids are completely absent. The taste is sweetish, but in case of violation of the collection technology and overgrowing, the marketability and taste of greenhouses are quite significantly reduced.
How to care for cucumbers
According to gardeners, at the seedling growing phase, cucumbers of this variety did not differ in growth and development activity from other Dutch hybrids. Many gardeners practice direct sowing of seeds on ridges in heated greenhouses without the use of artificial lighting in the first ten days of January. The flowering period during such cultivation is fixed after 35-38 days, and the first harvest can be carried out approximately two months after sowing. With an average plant height of two meters and the formation of a single stem, green leaves are poured together along the entire length of the plant.