Pear "Lel" refers to the varieties of selection of the Siberian Research Institute of Horticulture named after M. A. Lisavenko and is characterized by the presentation of the fruits of the summer ripening period. The variety was obtained as a result of hybridization of the pear of the Vinnaya variety and the pear of the Lyubimitsa Yakovleva variety, popular among gardeners.
The variety was obtained by experienced breeders I.A. Puchkin, I.P. Kalinina, E.P. Karataeva and M.I. Borisenko and zoned for cultivation in the West Siberian, East Siberian and Ural regions.
Description and varietal characteristics
Pear varieties "Lel" forms a medium-sized plant, with an ellipsoidal, medium thickening and very well leafy crown. The main fruit formations are represented by short and long fruit twigs. Adult shoots are slightly arcuate, dark red in color with a pronounced dark brown tint and pubescence at the ends.
The fruits are not large. The average weight at the stage of technical ripeness can vary from 70 to 75 g. The main color of the fetus at the stage of removable maturity is greenish. In the phase of consumer ripeness, the skin acquires a greenish-yellow color with a fairly pronounced dark red blush. Ripe flesh of white color, delicate, semi-oily, juicy texture. The taste is sour-sweet, with a characteristic spice.
Pear "Lel": features of the variety
Protection against diseases and pests
Obtaining a high and high-quality harvest of Lel pear depends in many respects not only on compliance with the cultivation technology, but also on timely measures to combat the main diseases and pests of fruit crops. The most common pear diseases include scab, black cancer, maniosis, or fruit rot, a bacterial burn, stem rot, or cytosporosis, powdery mildew, rust, and milky sheen.
In addition, fruit plantations can be damaged by such dangerous plant parasites as the codling moth, green aphid, leaf foliage, leaf moth and pear mite.
Preventive measures that are implemented in the early spring period are aimed not only at protecting fruit plantations from the most common diseases, but also at combating plant parasites, hitting a pear at different stages of plant development:
- three times per season, plants should be sprayed from aphids. The first spraying is carried out after the Kinmix plant has been awakened, the second treatment, before flowering, is carried out with the Agravertin agent, and the third one, at the stage of the ovaries, uses the Iskra biological product;
- Protect plants from the codling moth by means of Agravert, which is processed before flowering and immediately after it;
- spraying plants with a solution based on colloidal sulfur helps prevent damage to fruit plantations by a pear mite;
- for the prevention of the appearance of leafworms on plants, an effective modern preparation “Tsimbush” should be used for processing;
- a good result can be obtained when using non-chemical means for prophylactic spraying, in the form of infusions and decoctions of dandelion with garlic and chopped laundry soap;
- in autumn, it is imperative to remove all blackened fruits from tree branches, as well as to rake and destroy fallen leaves and spray the soil in the garden area with a 0.3% solution of nitrafen.
In autumn, pear trees are recommended to be pruned to prevent the spread of major diseases and pests, as well as to get proper plant care in the winter.
The description of the pear "Lel" is quite common, and, according to gardeners, the variety has a large number of positive characteristics. The fruits fully ripen at the end of the second decade of August. Harvested crops can be stored for no more than a week and the fruits can be used universally.
This variety has established itself as very demanding on a sufficient amount of moisture. Flowering is observed somewhat later than most zoned varieties. The fruiting variety begins in the fourth year after planting in a permanent place. Productivity is quite high, and fruiting is very regular. The disadvantages of the variety include not very good keeping quality and transportability of the harvested crop.
How to care for a pear
Experts recommend whitewashing trunks in the early spring, which protects the bark from sunburn and helps to partially destroy the plant parasites wintering under the bark. The variety is highly appreciated by Siberian gardeners for good taste indicators, early and amicable ripening of fruits, as well as high productivity, which, with proper cultivation and proper care, amounts to at least 25 kg per adult fruit tree annually.