Russian grapes "Harold" were selected in VNIIViV them. J.I. Potapenko. In the crossbreeding work, the parent line of the Vostorg and Arcadia varieties, as well as the Summer Muscat variety, was involved. The working version of the name of the hybrid form is "IV-6-5-pc."
The hybrid form "Harold" belongs to the category of table grapes with a very early ripening period, which is 95-100 days. Thus, the main harvest occurs in the last decade of July or early August.
Grapes "Harold" forms vigorous and very massive bushes with ripening shoots along the entire length. The percentage of fruitful shoots can be from 75% to 80% with a fruiting coefficient of 1.5-1.6. The yield of this hybrid form is quite high and stable.
Large, cylindrically-shaped grape clusters have an average weight of 0.4 to 0.5 kg. They have a medium density or dense structure. Bushes are often overloaded with crops, which involves rationing inflorescences.
Technical characteristics of berries
The hybrid form of Harold grapes compares favorably with similar new forms with large and very beautiful berries. The standard size of the berry is 24 x 20 mm, and the weight ranges from 5 to 7 g. The shape of the berry is oval, with a slight sharpening on the tip. In the phase of full ripening, white staining turns into a very beautiful amber-yellow color.
The meaty and rather juicy pulp is characterized by density, harmonious taste and a light muscat aroma. The skin is relatively dense and completely eaten. The indicators of sugar accumulation are about 20 g / 100 cm³, acidity - 5 g / dm³. Irrigation was not observed during cultivation. In addition, the berries are very resistant to cracking, regardless of weather conditions.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Grapes "Harold" has certain advantages that distinguish it from other hybrid forms:
- beautiful large grape brushes and very delicious berries;
- good taste characteristics, a light muscat shade;
- high and stable productivity;
- resistance to peeling and cracking;
- good transportability over long distances;
- resistance to mildew - 3 points, to damage by oidium - 3.5 points, sufficient resistance to damage by gray rot;
- early harvest;
- high productivity due to fruiting on the main shoots and stepsons.
The frost resistance of the hybrid form is currently being studied. According to the observations of gardeners, the bushes tolerate frosts up to -25 degrees.
Grapes "Harold": features of the variety
The new hybrid form "Harold" refers to the few varieties that are recommended for planting in the northern regions. Planting seedlings is recommended according to the classical scheme for any hybrid forms:
- planting is best done in the spring, which will insure the seedlings from freezing in the winter;
- the landing pit is prepared in the fall and should be filled with a drainage layer of fine stone, followed by soil with fertilizers;
- the top layer of fertile land in the planting pit should be laid with a slight elevation under the root system of the seedling;
- in the center of the planting pit should drive a sufficiently high support peg for tying the vines;
- seedlings prepared for planting should have healthy shoots and a powerful root system;
- Before planting, a rejuvenating pruning of roots is carried out to a length of 15-17 cm, as well as trimming of all underdeveloped and weak shoots.
Planted plants should be watered well, gently tied to a support and, if necessary, covered to protect against late spring frosts.
Grapes "Harold" is not demanding in care, but responsive to the implementation of basic agricultural activities.
- Systematic irrigation to prevent drying out of the soil, as well as the use of water-charging irrigation before shelter for the winter and with the onset of the growing season.
- Mulching the soil around the vine bushes with organic compounds that not only preserve the moisture of the topsoil, but also serve as a source of nutrients for the plant.
- Adult bushes need mineral fertilizers, which are recommended to be applied in the spring. For this purpose, superphosphate, ammonium nitrate and potassium salt should be diluted in 10 liters of water in a ratio of 2: 1: 0.5, respectively.
- The removal of excess ovaries overloading the vineyards with crops should be carried out.
- Pruning can be carried out both short and medium, optimally pruning the shoot for 4-6 eyes.
Experienced growers who have been cultivating this hybrid form of grapes in home gardens for a long time, recommend pruning for 10-12 buds, although grape bushes are very powerful and easily withstand loads of up to 40 buds.
You may also be interested in an article that describes the varietal characteristics of the Arched grape.
Grapes "Harold" receives exclusively positive reviews from winegrowers and amateur gardeners. This new hybrid form, when grown in homestead viticulture, has fully confirmed the excellent taste and aroma stated in the description, high resistance to diseases, good transportability, fast ripening time and high frost resistance.
According to expert winegrowers, with a growing scheme of 3 x 0.5 m, the weight of a bunch of grapes extremely rarely exceeds 0.5 kg with a maximum mass of one berry of 5-6 g. The indisputable advantage that is important for growing this grape variety in most regions of Russia is really early harvest maturity.
How to grow grapes
The bush shows itself well both in root cultivation and inoculation. Against the background of other varieties and hybrids, Harold begins vegetation earlier than others and, accordingly, has a more powerful growth. Most winegrowers agree that this new hybrid is a worthy and interesting form for homestead viticulture.