Grapes "Lowland" ripens in the medium term. Full maturity and harvest occurs in 135-145 days from the moment of awakening of the vegetative buds on the vine bushes.
Grapes "Lowland" is a very successful hybrid form obtained by crossing the variety "Talisman" with a rather interesting grape variety called "Tomaysky". The author of this hybrid form was an amateur breeder V.N. Krainov.
The productivity of the hybrid form of grape "Lowland" is characterized by stability and belongs to the category of high, which allows you to collect more than 6 kg in the conditions of home growing.
The table form of grapes "Lowland" ripens in the last decade of August or early September. Own bushes of a hybrid form are characterized by strong stature. The number of fruitful shoots varies from 60 to 80%. The average bearing coefficient is 1.2. Shoots ripen actively and very well. The vine ripens half or 1/3 of the length. Cuttings are characterized by a high percentage of rooting and fruiting one year after planting. High compatibility with most stocks is observed.
Flowering bisexual flowers observed in mid-June and provides a high percentage of pollination and ovary formation. Ripen grapes are very beautiful and large. The average weight of one brush is 0.65 kg. Individual clusters reach a weight of 1.5 kg, and sometimes more. The shape of the cluster is cylindrical, with an average density structure.
Grapes "Lowland" has large or very large berries of regular oval shape, the average size of 3 x 2.2 cm. The average weight of the berries is 11 g. The color of the berries is quite intense, reddish-violet. The flesh of the ripened berry is fleshy and juicy, with a harmonious taste, covered with eaten skin.
Sugar content varies from 17 to 18%, acidity - at the level of 8-9 g / l. The seeds in the berry can be 2 or 3 pcs. A distinctive feature of this hybrid form is the early preservation of the berry, which occurs two weeks earlier than consumer maturity is formed. When cultivated on chernozems, a very peculiar, blue-violet, color of ripe berries can be observed, which looks very impressive in the photo.
Grapes "Lowland": features of the variety
The grape variety "Lowland" has the following characteristics and claimed benefits:
- the possibility of an early harvest;
- high productivity with very stable annual rates;
- high taste quality and presentation of ripe grape brushes;
- good crop mobility;
- frost resistance of a hybrid form to - 23 ° C;
- resistance to mildew damage at the level of 3 points;
- sufficient resistance to gray rot.
In addition, during the cultivation, no damage to the berries with wasps or hornets was noticed. Sufficient stability allows cultivation of this hybrid form in the climatic conditions of the middle zone of our country.
When choosing a place for planting grapes "Lowland" it is recommended to pay attention to the following indicators and parameters:
- the illumination of the place for planting grape seedlings should be maximum, which implies the use of a southern part of a personal garden or garden plot for a vineyard;
- Landing should be carried out in places protected from the gusty wind or at elevations, along the southern wall of the building;
- An important aspect is the level of soil fertility in the vineyard, in the absence of a sufficiently light and nutritious soil, the soil is enriched in the area under planting by fertilizing;
- too close the location of the groundwater level to the surface of the ground often enough causes decay of the root system of grapes, so groundwater should be no closer than 2.5 m to the surface;
- grape "Lowland" needs a significant area of nutrition, and the optimal distance between the planted seedlings should be at least 3 m. and between rows - 4 m.
For planting, standard pits or trenches should be prepared, the depth and diameter of which should not only correspond to the size of the root system of the plant, but also contain a drainage layer followed by a layer of fertile soil. When planting, do not deepen the root neck of the seedling. All planted plants should be watered very abundantly, and then the soil around the stem should be mulched. For tying the vine installed special support.
A new hybrid form of grape called "Lowland" is very responsive to agricultural practices. Cultivation in a homestead involves the following measures for the care of grape bushes:
- watering should be regular and plentiful enough;
- after irrigation, it is recommended to loosen the soil and mulch to delay the evaporation of moisture from the soil;
- at the stage of active vegetation, you can use both root and foliar top dressing using almost any fertilizer;
- at the stage of preparing grape bushes for winter, you can not make nitrogen fertilizers that provoke the growth of green mass;
- a sufficiently high resistance to damage by pests or diseases involves a double or triple prophylactic treatment with systemic drugs;
- high fertility of the eyes on the basis of shoots involves a short pruning.
In addition to the requirements for increasing the nutritional area of grape bushes, the hybrid "Nisin" form needs to normalize the load of crops and shoots. The recommended load on each bush is 22-24 shoots, as well as 30-35 eyes. Pruning of the fruiting vine is carried out for 3-4 or 8-10 eyes. Be sure to thin out the bunches.
We also offer you to read an article in which we talk about the varietal characteristics of Valiant grapes.
Reviews of winegrowers
The taste preferences of all winegrowers are different. Therefore, the grape "Lowland" managed to acquire both its fans and those for whom some of the shortcomings of the hybrid form became decisive in the evaluation of this variety.
When growing on a personal plot, grapes of this hybrid form do not burst, do not rot, and does not require any special attention, except for more thorough normalization compared to many other hybrid forms. In the southern regions, the "Lowland" form is often used in the design of arbors and is grown as a non-covering culture. Many winegrowers noted the peculiarity of the leaves of this hybrid form to have a somewhat withered appearance, which very often scares many beginner gardeners.
How to prune grapes in autumn
When growing in the middle of Russia, the vineyard will certainly need pruning, followed by shelter for the winter. It is very important to note a fact that is often overlooked by many gardeners: when overloading bushes with bunches and shoots, Nizina grapes begin to behave very unpredictably. Not only the ripening period can be delayed, but also significant shredding of berries and almost complete loss of their taste are noted.
Compliance with high agricultural technology allows us to draw the following conclusions about this hybrid form: clusters are large and very beautiful, they are able to hang on bushes to frost in the zone of uncultivated viticulture; berries are completely absent; bushes are practically not damaged by insect pests; disease resistance at the level of three treatments. In addition, the vine ripen perfectly and frost resistance at a high level.