Most gardeners in different countries know the Blue Danube potato as a vegetable crop from the field of organic farming. Despite the fact that during the cooking process the peel of the tubers of this variety remains bright purple, the flesh of the potato has a snow-white color.
The Blue Danube potato variety, or Blue Danube, is a mid-early-growing vegetable crop. When creating this variety, a well-known high resistance to most diseases potato called Sarpo Mira was involved. Bushes are very powerful, medium-sized, leafy. The tubers are oval-oblong, large, with dense skin of dark blue color and white flesh.
Blue Danube potatoes are high-yielding varieties. Individual tubers reach a mass of 250 g or more. In each bush, at least 8 tubers are formed.
Benefits of Growing Blue Danube Potatoes
The main advantages of growing such an unusual potato for Russian latitudes are as follows:
- This variety is resistant to mechanical damage and cracking;
- one of the leaders in taste;
- high and stable productivity is noted;
- with proper storage, it does not spoil for a long time and does not germinate;
- the presence of a large sprout potential;
- can grow and bear fruit well in depleted soils;
- it is resistant to most of the most harmful microorganisms and is practically not affected by the black leg, tuberous scab, black scab, potato Y-virus, fusariosis, leaf-twisting virus, nematodes and potato anthracnose. The variety can be cultivated without the use of chemicals that protect against diseases and pests.
Potato "Blue Danube": flowering
Blue Danube is part of the Sarpo series. As a rule, all potato varieties included in this series do not need to be processed, thanks to their long hibernation, the tubers are perfectly preserved under normal conditions and do not require special refrigeration units.
The growing conditions for this type of potato are as follows:
- The site for planting potato tubers should be fertile, sunny, without stagnation of moisture.
- Planting rows are recommended to be placed in a direction from north to south, which will make lighting of all plants complete.
- About two weeks before planting in open ground, planting material is placed in a warm place. It is necessary to carry out a pre-planting visual inspection of the seed material, since exclusively healthy potato tubers with varietal characteristics are selected for planting.
- Potato tubers should be planted in a soil heated to a minimum of 8 ° C.
- Caring for potatoes after planting involves watering, hilling, fertilizing. It is advisable to water the potato plantings in the evening, which will allow moisture on the foliage to dry out until morning. It is very important about a month before the mass harvest to completely stop watering, since excess moisture negatively affects the shelf life of the crop.
Such a technique as cracking a potato stem at a height of 15-20 cm from the ground has good efficiency, which inhibits the growth and development of tops after flowering and promotes the redistribution of nutrients to potato tubers.
Reviews of gardeners
Most even beginners and inexperienced gardeners know that once every three or four years the variety of potatoes grown in a personal plot needs to be updated. Specialists in this case recommend planting elite planting material. The description of the Blue Danube variety and the positive reviews of gardeners make it very popular in home gardens today.
Many potato growers noted the absolute unpretentiousness of the Blue Danube variety. Such potatoes are optimally suitable for cultivation in our country and are adapted to adverse factors. Tubers, even in the absence of high agricultural technology, are formed very large. On untiring soils, gardeners often observe overly active flowering of potato bushes with the subsequent formation of seed material.
The potato is delicious and has proven itself after the heat treatment. The pulp is very fragrant and does not boil, which makes it possible to use it for cooking salads. When creating standard conditions, such potatoes are stored without loss of presentation and taste throughout the winter.