We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
People value these poultry primarily for their tasty and nutritious meat, as well as down and feathers. But for their successful breeding, the owners must know how long each duck sits on the laid eggs. This is most directly influenced by the breed or species of bird, as well as external factors. This must be taken into account when growing birds, both for personal consumption and for subsequent sale on the market.
How many days does a duck sit on eggs?
It is known that each species of these birds incubates eggs for a certain time. But the indicator can change - it is influenced by the ambient temperature, humidity, daylight hours, diet and other factors.
Basically, the terms of incubation of eggs by different types of ducks are as follows:
- Musky (mute duck). This is a common poultry, which is also called Indo-duck. These birds are a convenient and little problematic option for growing, both on a personal backyard and in poultry farms. The main advantages include: quiet, calm, not capricious character, picky about different types of feed and high resistance to disease. This is what Indian runners are like - an interesting variety of ducks. Mute ducklings are born in 29-35 days. During this period, it is extremely important not to disturb the hen so that she does not abandon her nest, as well as to immediately provide the necessary care and proper nutrition. One muscovy duck can hatch 12-20 eggs, which are larger in size than chicken eggs.
- Wild duck (gogol, sheath and others). These birds begin to incubate the clutch from the time when the most recent egg was laid. The duration of the appearance of offspring is influenced by many factors, including the variety of the bird itself, the period itself is 28-40 days. Interestingly, the chicks begin to squeak when they are still inside the shell. This usually happens a few days before birth, and the hatching of the offspring itself occurs almost simultaneously.
- Mallard. The reproductive age of such birds occurs approximately one year after birth. Already after 26-28 days, her numerous offspring are born, of course, if the conditions for keeping the birds are favorable. The chicks destroy the shell together, and the further development of the offspring occurs quickly - after a month their weight reaches one kilogram. Interestingly, the mallard duck covers the nest with eggs with its own down.
- Bashkir. This variety does not incubate the clutch itself. To obtain the desired offspring, the owner needs to collect eggs and place them in an incubator, and after 28 days, ducklings will begin to hatch. If there are other birds on the farm (in particular, agidel and cherry velli), they can be used for incubating the eggs of Bashkir ducks. A decoy bird is often not inferior in efficiency to an incubator, the main thing is to create the necessary conditions for it.
- Beijing. The volume of its clutch directly depends on the size of the bird itself. Typically, a Peking duck is capable of incubating twenty eggs at a time. But the birds of this breed have a poorly developed maternal instinct. Often, other hens are used to obtain offspring, it can even be chickens. Experienced owners teach Peking girls to sit in the nest, sometimes using dummies of eggs. The offspring of this breed is usually born in 27-29 days.
How many eggs can it sit on?
Novice poultry farmers believe that a brood hen only incubates a few eggs at a time. But this is an erroneous opinion, in fact, the indicator is much higher. Usually, the number of eggs on which a bird sits directly depends on its size.
But if some of the eggs stick out to the sides or even fall out of the nest, then, of course, the embryos from them will never hatch.
For each duckling to be born, the shell must be under the mother's body and constantly receive the heat necessary for development. It is important to remember that you should not put more eggs under the hen than she can hatch! Therefore, attentive owners must know the following indicators:
- a mute female is capable of producing 12-20 chicks at a time;
- wild ducks hatch 8-10 chicks at a time;
- mallard is able to incubate 7-12 eggs;
- the Bashkir breed produces 10-17 ducklings at a time;
- peking - up to 20 eggs.
Some species of ducks (for example, wild ones) cover the nest with fluff, which soars the clutch, preventing the eggs from cooling when the hen is absent.
What can affect the term?
Ducks of different breeds and species hatch offspring for different periods of time, but, on average, it takes about one month. Clutch incubation often occurs after the last egg has been laid. It must be remembered that each breed of ducks has its own characteristics, therefore, the timing of the birth of offspring is different:
- wild ducks sit on eggs for 28-40 days;
- mallard - only 26-28 days;
- in Bashkir ducks, offspring appears after 28 days;
- in musky chicks hatch after 30-35 days;
- in Peking, the offspring hatch after 27-29 days.
The time of birth of ducklings is influenced by diet, temperature and other factors that must be taken into account by the owners. In the case when the bird sits on the clutch in winter, they provide additional heating, and also increase the daylight hours using artificial lighting. Usually, the duck begins to line the nest with down before it starts to rush.
This should be a signal that the bird requires increased attention and proper nutrition. In the barn where the hens are located, it should be dry, the birds should not be frightened or disturbed - they must spend most of their time sitting on the eggs.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
The more favorable the conditions for hatching the chicks are, the faster they will be born.
What problems can there be?
When ducks hatch their offspring, problems often arise that the owners must quickly solve. It happens that the bird refuses to sit in the nest and simply leaves the clutch. In such a situation, the eggs are placed in an incubator or other types of ducks or even chickens are used as hens.
Sometimes ducklings choke without pecking the shell. It helps to solve the problem by installing containers with water in the barn - after swimming, the bird sits wet in the nest, this helps to erase the protective film. It is important to provide birds with a balanced diet during this period by adding special vitamins to their food.