Every year breeders never cease to amaze with novelties of tomato crops. So recently, tomato varieties, the so-called bicolor ones, have appeared on the consumer market. These are quite interesting vegetable crops, which, due to their unusual external structure and characteristics of the fruits, have fallen in love with fruit growers in many countries. In Russia, one of the most successful bicolor subspecies is the Orange Russian 117 tomato. Despite the fact that this hybrid is a foreign selection, it has gained great popularity among Soviet summer residents in a fairly short period of time.
The history of the variety and its cultivation
Tomato Orange Russian 117 is a mid-early vegetable crop that was obtained in the United States. The author of the breeding achievement is Jeff Dawson. In 2010, the variety was cultivated in Russia, where, after passing all the test work, it was included in the State Register.
As shown by the reviews of gardeners, the Orange Russian tomato has proven itself well in the southern and central regions of Russia, as well as in the Non-Chernozem zone when grown in open ground. In greenhouse conditions, the variety grows well in the East European and West Siberian parts of the country.
Description of the plant
Variety Orange Russian 117 refers to bicolor plants, that is, when tomatoes consist of two or more color ranges. The bush itself is also endowed with an unusual structure, which allows you to place a large number of fruits.
Description of the appearance of the plant:
- An indeterminate bush with no growth restrictions.
- On average, the height of the culture reaches 1.8-2 meters.
- The plant is standard, it needs to form 2-3 stems.
- The bush is bare, slightly leafy.
- Leaves are decorative, deep green in color.
It is also worth noting that the culture has a well-developed root system that favorably affects its development.
Important: To increase the yield of a vegetable crop, it is recommended to form a bush in 2-3 stems. At the same time, in order to stop the growth of the plant, it is recommended to pinch it from above when it reaches 1.5–2 meters.
Productivity and characteristics of fruits
Fruits of the Orange Russian 117 variety begin to ripen 111–125 days after the germination of seeds. With proper agricultural technology, one bush can be harvested in open holes up to 3 kg, in greenhouses and hotbeds up to 4.5 kg. The fruits of the Orange Russian 117 variety are endowed with a lot of advantages in comparison with other indeterminate tomatoes.
Characteristics of the fruit, which can also be attributed to its merits:
- The weight. The average fruit weight is 300 grams.
- The form. The tomatoes are round, with a pointed tip. Heart-shaped.
- Color. The peel of tomatoes is covered with a red tint with orange strokes. Fruit tips are deep crimson. At the same time, the inside of the tomatoes is also of a heterogeneous shade. In the thickness of the orange pulp, red streaks are observed.
- Pulp. From the inside, the tomatoes are Orange Russian dense, with a small number of seeds.
- Taste. The fruits are endowed with good taste, with a predominance of saccharin.
- Transportability. Due to their dense skin, tomatoes do not lose their appearance during long-distance transportation.
- Shelf life. For 40 days at a temperature of +2 degrees, the fruits are able to maintain their presentation.
For their intended purpose, tomatoes are used fresh and in cooking: canned whole fruits, sauces, natural juices and tomato pastes.
The tomato of the Russian 117 variety does not need special care. For its proper development, it will be enough to carry out timely watering, weeding and feeding with mineral and nitrogen fertilizers. Also, do not forget about insect pests. Timely prevention will also prevent the formation of infectious diseases.