We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A suitable temperature is required for the normal development of chickens and chickens. Providing it in the winter can be quite difficult. To insulate the chicken coop, many farmers use improvised means - plywood, sawdust, chipboard. However, in regions with harsh climates, this may not be enough. In such a situation, special lamps are often used to heat the chickens. They maintain a suitable temperature and ensure the normal development of the chicks.
What is it?
The device is an ordinary light bulb. It is screwed into a ceramic cartridge E27. The glass bulb is transparent or colored blue or red. There is a tungsten filament inside. It is located in a flask with an argon-nitrogen mixture.
These lamps have a specific emission. It does not affect the entire room, but objects that are nearby. When in contact with them, infrared rays are absorbed, after which they are transformed into thermal energy. It does not take much time to heat up - the heat is felt immediately when the lamp is turned on.
Types of infrared heating lamps
There are several lamp options available for heating broilers. They allow you to store heat due to their strong glow. Common types of infrared lamps include the following:
- R lamps. They differ in the simplest design and are made of ordinary glass. On top there is a glossy part that lets in light. It is connected to a reflector, which is covered with reflective paint from the inside.
- BR lamps. They are characterized by a convex reflector. It is covered with reflective paint. The part that transmits light is connected to the reflector. It is made from ordinary glass. This element can be matte, glossy or honeycomb.
- PAR lamps. They are characterized by a precisely fitted parabolic reflector. There is an aluminum layer on top, which provides better reflection and focusing of light. These lamps have a shorter length, which allows deeper fixation in the shade.
- Ceramic lamps. The main feature of such lamps is considered to be the absence of light during heating. This is important if you need to heat birds in the absence of lighting. The devices are made of refractory material. It is highly durable and can easily withstand exposure to water.
Basic rules of use
It is worth using a thermometer to control the temperature. Newborn chicks need a high temperature - 35-37 degrees. Subsequently, it is recommended to reduce it by 1-2 degrees. At 9 weeks old, chicks feel comfortable at a temperature of 18-21 degrees.
To regulate the temperature, you can remove or bring the lamp closer to objects. To select the lamp power, you should focus on this ratio: 1 kilowatt of energy is required per 10 square meters. If the temperature in a room without heating is 10 degrees, 1 600 watt light bulb is required per 10 square meters.
The distance at which the heat source should be located is also important. Initially, this is done at a distance of 30-40 centimeters from the chicks. After some time, the temperature is measured. If it exceeds 37 degrees, the heat source is moved higher.
You should have 2 lamps in your arsenal. If one goes bad, it should be replaced in a timely manner. This will help keep the chicks healthy.
Principle of operation
When the lamp functions, electrical energy is transformed into infrared radiation. The design is completely safe. The glass flask is made of thick glass that is water and shock resistant.
A special reflective material is applied to the inside of the glass. Thanks to this, it is possible to direct heat and light to the chicks. It is best to place several bulbs in the brooder as they can burn out. If the chicks are left without heat, this will lead to their death.
The length of daylight hours is very important when breeding chicks. With the right choice of lighting, it is possible to regulate the activity of chickens. It is important that the temperature in the house is high on the first day. Different lamps are used for the aviary.
In the first weeks, the hen house in which the chickens are kept is illuminated unevenly. In the area of drinking bowls and feeders, a wakefulness zone is created. This site is constantly lit. Above it are lamps with reflectors with a power of 15-20 watts. Chicks should sleep in semi-darkness.
Scientists say that in the first 3 weeks of life, birds need constant lighting. It provokes increased activity and muscle growth.
Subsequently, constant exposure to light inhibits the development of birds. Therefore, it is recommended to illuminate the house in an intermittent manner.
The correct placement of the chicks can be determined by their behavior. With sufficient activity of chicks, good appetite and normal water consumption, we can talk about decent conditions for their keeping.
If there is a lack of warmth, chicks huddle together. They are located closer to heat sources and try to keep warm. As a result, there is a risk of injury. Under the impressive mass of birds, there is a risk of death of chicks.
Are creeping to the sides
If the chicks try to crawl in different directions and avoid contact with each other, this indicates an elevated temperature.
In such a situation, there is heavy breathing and sluggish behavior. Therefore, it is worth placing the heat source higher.
The advantages of using lamps as heaters
Heating a brooder with an infrared lamp has many advantages:
- promotes drying of the litter;
- maintains normal moisture parameters due to moisture evaporation;
- favorably affects the nervous system of chicks, reduces their aggressiveness and reduces stress parameters;
- Provides soft lighting that does not irritate the chicks;
- normalizes the functioning of the digestive system, including improved appetite and absorption of feed;
- ensures correct development of chicks and strengthens the immune system.
You can heat a chicken coop not only with lamps. For this purpose, other types of infrared devices are also used. They fall into the following categories:
- plafond lamps;
How to organize a brooder correctly?
The use of cardboard boxes for growing chickens is not considered to be the best solution. They quickly get wet, there is no ventilation inside, there are problems with performing high-quality cleaning and disinfection.
In such a situation, it is recommended to use a brooder. It is a house for chicks, which has the appropriate equipment and is intended for breeding young animals.
To achieve good results, a brooder must meet the following requirements:
- Have a good heating system, adequate lighting, high quality drinkers and feeders. Ventilation and durability are achieved with fine mesh grilles. They are located on the sides and on the floor. The mesh size is approximately 10 millimeters.
- Waste of the chicks' vital activity should pass freely through the grate, falling into a special garbage container. It can be quickly washed and treated with disinfectants. The entire brooder should be easy to clean and wash.
- Removable side walls are needed to raise young chicks in the first days of life, maintain a normal temperature and protect against drafts. They are made from washable materials. Plywood or fiberboard will work well. For single use, you can use thick cardboard. For the first time, you can install additional mats. They should be covered with dry bedding. These devices should occupy half of the cage.
- The brooder should be supplemented with several infrared lamps. It is also recommended to use a thermostat that reacts to changes in external conditions and adjusts the temperature in the brooder.
- The size of the door should ensure smooth cleaning in the house.
When organizing a brooder, it is important to choose the right area for it. An overly tight fit will lead to injuries, death of chicks, leg pathologies due to lack of physical activity.
Correctly selected temperature regime ensures the normal development of chicks. To achieve good results, the use of infrared lamps makes it possible to help heat the chickens.