We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Every gardener strives to use the local area as efficiently as possible. But, for example, having removed a strawberry crop at the beginning of summer, he will no longer be able to use this area for other plantings during the season. One of the options for economical use of the territory is growing strawberries horizontally in PVC pipes. Let's consider further the nuances of this procedure.
When growing strawberries with this method, seedlings are planted in horizontally located large-diameter sewer pipes. Such beds look aesthetically pleasing and do not take up much space. But if such a structure is located in a greenhouse, the seedlings can be affected by the fungus. To avoid this, before planting strawberries, bushes and soil must be treated with antifungal drugs.
Important! Fungicide treatment is a necessary procedure, since during infection it will be necessary to change the entire soil, while disassembling the entire structure.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are not only pros but also cons to using each method. Consider the pros and cons of growing strawberries in pipes.
- economy of territory;
- the possibility of growing berries throughout the year;
- quick assembly and disassembly of the structure;
- no need for weeding;
- berries are not contaminated with soil;
- inaccessibility to pests (slugs).
- rapid depletion of the soil;
- some costs are required to create a structure;
- the need to insulate the device for the winter.
Despite the fact that there are some disadvantages, there are still more advantages to this method of growing strawberries. Having spent one money to create a device, the gardener will be able to use it for a long time to plant delicious berries.
How to build a structure
When planting strawberries in sewer pipes, the preparation process is time-consuming. To do everything, you will need the following tools: drill, tape measure, hacksaw.
In addition, you need to purchase materials that are usually sold in hardware stores.
A plastic pipe bed is built using the following handy materials:
- PVC pipes with a diameter of 150 millimeters;
- plugs with the corresponding diameter (2 per segment);
- watering hose with a diameter of 30-40 millimeters:
- plugs for it of the corresponding diameter;
- water tanks;
- pump with automatic watering.
A pump will be required to irrigate large strawberry plantations. If a small area is used, a tank is sufficient, from which water will flow by gravity.
The strawberry structure must be located in a bright place. In addition, the bushes should be well ventilated. This is necessary to prevent their infection with fungal diseases and damage by harmful insects. This is especially true when growing strawberries in a greenhouse.
Some gardeners install a strawberry structure near or directly on a fence. This can be done provided that it is located on the sunny side of the site. In addition, pipes with berry bushes are placed around the perimeter of beds with other plants.
Collecting the installation vertically
To build a structure from PVC pipes, the following steps are taken:
- A drill with a large nozzle (at least 7 centimeters) makes holes in the pipe. The first of them is at a height of 20 centimeters from the surface of the earth. So that each bush planted has enough space for development, they are planted in a checkerboard pattern, at a distance of 20 centimeters from each other.
- The watering hose is cut off (15 centimeters longer than the pipe), holes are made in it.
- To prevent holes in the irrigation pipe from clogging, it must be wrapped with nylon.
- A plug is attached to the bottom of the hose (so that water does not go into the ground).
- The bottom of the large pipe is secured with a plug with holes.
- The device is installed vertically. For stability, it must be slightly dug into the ground.
- Drainage from small stones or broken bricks is laid at the bottom. It will give the structure stability and will not allow moisture to stagnate in the soil.
- A watering hose is installed in the center of the main pipe.
- The soil is filled up.
Note! The earth is poured into the pipes in stages. It must be carefully tamped, otherwise voids will form, negatively affecting the development of strawberries.
Preparation of pipes for horizontal construction
To grow juicy strawberries horizontally, pipes are prepared in the same way. But, unlike the previous method, holes are made only along the upper horizontal of the pipe. Their diameter should be at least 15 centimeters, the distance between them should be 20 centimeters. Further actions step by step:
- Plugs are made at the ends of the pipes. If there are no special ones, then they can be wrapped in foil and tightly tied with ropes.
- A watering pipe is being prepared: small holes are made along its entire length for water to exit into the ground. Then it must be wrapped with light material, for example, nylon, so that the holes are not clogged with earth. A plug is placed on one side.
- Holes are made in the center of the plugs through which a prepared watering hose is installed. It should be longer than the sewer pipe.
- Drainage is poured through the "windows", which is distributed evenly over the entire bottom.
- The soil is poured out in the same way.
The construction is ready. Strawberry seedlings are planted in the holes. A hose from the pump is connected to the end of the protruding irrigation tube, and watering is performed. If the structure consists of several sewer pipes, then the irrigation hoses are interconnected with adapters.
Features of growing strawberries
They start planting strawberries in the spring, when the threat of frost disappears. If a gardener wants to grow it in a greenhouse, then this can be done all year round. The air temperature should be at least 20 °, optimally: from 23 to 25 ° C. When growing strawberries in winter, lighting will be required.
For growing strawberries in PVC pipes, varieties are selected that are resistant to fungal diseases. The most popular ones are:
- Yellow miracle;
- Queen Elizabeth;
- Baby elephant;
When the grower has mastered the technology of growing strawberries in pipes, he can use other varieties in the future.
Before pouring the soil, it must be disinfected with industrial preparations or folk methods. Initially, it is poured into the structure in such a way that there is room for planting seedlings. Then they act as follows:
- a small hole is made in the pipe hole;
- strawberry roots are processed in a growth stimulant;
- straighten the root system, plant seedlings in the holes, sprinkle with soil up to the root collar.
For the first few days, the strawberry construction is shaded from the sun. When constructing the structure vertically in the lower holes, you can plant and grow marigolds or marigolds, which will scare off harmful insects.
Since there is little earth in the pipes, it quickly dries up from the sun. Therefore, you need to water the seedlings often. The need to moisten the soil can be traced through the planting holes. When the soil has dried out by 2-3 centimeters, watering is carried out through the hoses pre-installed in the structure.
Important! Care must be taken to prevent waterlogging of the soil, from which fungal infections can develop.
Strawberries grown in pipes need to be fertilized more often than those planted in the field normally. This is due to the fact that the land in the structure is rapidly depleting. Bushes are fed once a week with complex mineral fertilizers through a watering hose. To prevent root burns, the soil is preliminarily slightly moistened with water.
Pest and disease control
Strawberries grown in pipes are not exposed to the invasion of slugs and snails, but various insects can damage the plantings. To get rid of them, various insecticides are used according to the instructions.
Plants can be exposed to disease, first of all, from an excess of moisture. If rot is found, it is necessary to cut the damaged plants to healthy parts, then treat the bushes and soil with approved antifungal drugs according to the instructions.
At the initial stage, growing strawberries in PVC pipes is a little laborious. But, having created a structure, the gardener will be able to harvest without using a large planting area. In addition, the site takes on an original, unique look.