We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Milk replacer is used for feeding kids from birth. Usually it is used from the second day of life. It is recommended to do this if there is not enough breast milk in case of multiple lambing. To achieve the normal development of pets and avoid negative consequences for their health, it is necessary to strictly follow the rules for preparing the solution. The technology of feeding the cubs is of no small importance.
The importance of first feeding after lambing
In the first hour of life, the newborn should receive colostrum. If this does not happen, there is a risk of stunting of the calf. A delay in the first feeding by 2-3 hours in 50% of cases causes the death of young animals.
With multiple lambing, goats may not have enough breast milk. In such a situation, they have to be fed with whole milk substitutes. These products are balanced and contain a lot of easily digestible proteins and energy. They contain pasteurized dairy ingredients that are free of harmful microorganisms.
How to breed milk replacer for kids
To prepare the composition, it is recommended to dilute the product with warm water in a ratio of 1: 4 or 1: 5. Sometimes the manufacturer may indicate other ratios. To prepare the composition, you need to use warm water. It should be heated to 45 degrees. In this case, you cannot use boiling water.
The composition must be thoroughly mixed so that there are no lumps in it. After that, it is recommended to strain the mixture so that it becomes completely homogeneous. If lumps remain in the composition, they can clog the opening of the nipple. Then pour the milk replacer into special bottles and start feeding the kids.
It is not recommended to make the composition too thick. This mixture can cause indigestion and other digestive problems.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
With an excess amount of water in the composition, the nutritional value of the product decreases and saturation does not occur.
Artificial feeding technology
Growing kids on a whole milk replacer lasts 1.5-2 months. During this period, the cub eats about 9 kilograms of dry mixture. It is important to strictly follow the instructions for use of the composition. The daily intake of the substance depends on the age of the kid:
- in 1-7 days - 900-1200 milliliters;
- at 1-3 weeks - 1300-1600 milliliters;
- up to 2 months - 1700-1900 milliliters.
Subsequently, the kids are transferred to the diet of adult animals. At this stage, the need for the use of milk replacer disappears. It is recommended that you use bottles or nipple buckets for feeding your pets. It is forbidden to use cups or troughs for this purpose. Swallowing large amounts of milk can cause babies to choke.
In addition, if too large portions enter the digestive organs, milk may be curdled. This leads to the appearance of diarrhea and exhaustion. To feed the kids, it is permissible to use baby bottles. They are sold in pharmacies or children's stores. To optimize the feeding process, it is recommended to use special devices - nipple buckets. With the help of such a device, it is possible to feed several cubs at once.
When using whole milk substitutes, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- Observe the volume of drinking. It is strictly forbidden to overfeed the kids. Excess food can cause diarrhea. The appearance of an upset stomach in kids even provokes death.
- Reduce the number of feedings while increasing the volume of food. The older the kid, the less often it needs to be fed. In the first weeks of life, the cub needs five meals a day. By the age of one month, 3 feedings a day are enough for him. At the same time, it is recommended to gradually replace the diet with non-dairy, introducing new products.
- The mixture cannot be used as a substitute for colostrum. If the goat has died after giving birth, it is recommended to use frozen colostrum. Transitional milk from another uterus will also work. Thanks to feeding the goat with colostrum in the first 4 days of its life, it is possible to establish immunity.
- It is recommended to transfer pups to milk replacer gradually. This will help prevent digestive disturbances. It is important to consider that many milk replacers include antibacterial ingredients.
- If colostrum, milk or milk substitute is not available, cow's milk is used. However, it is worth gradually transferring the kids to this product. With such a diet, the pet can survive, however, in terms of indicators, it will be significantly inferior to the kids that were raised under the uterus.
- It is important to keep the drinking cups clean. They should be installed in such a way that the kids cannot contaminate the water.
Which one is better to choose
To choose the right composition, it is recommended to focus on the following criteria:
- the reputation of the manufacturer and the popularity of the product;
- the composition of the mixture, the presence and volume of herbal ingredients;
- compliance of the actual parameters of nutritional value with those declared by the manufacturer;
- availability of instructions for the use of powdered milk, depending on the age of the cubs.
The most popular products on the market include:
- Spectolak 20;
- "Novilam W";
Are there any side effects and contraindications?
When using the composition in the recommended dosage, there are no side effects or contraindications. At the same time, funds intended for kids cannot be used for other animals. In terms of safety parameters for the life and health of animals, a milk substitute must comply with veterinary and sanitary requirements, which are approved in the prescribed manner.
If the proportions indicated in the instructions are violated, there is a risk of intestinal problems and negative consequences.
To prepare the composition, it is important to use clean dishes. It is recommended to pour boiling water over the container. Violation of the rules for the dilution of the composition provokes the occurrence of diarrhea. Milk replacer is often used to feed kids. This product is used when there is a lack of milk in a goat. In this case, it is important to strictly follow the instructions and dosage.