Raspberry "Zyugana", or "Sugana", is a new repairing variety bred by Swiss breeders. The variety was bred in 1999 and comes from a breeding program whose purpose is to obtain high-yielding repairing varieties. The variety description and some of the characteristics of Sugana are similar to the popular and well-known raspberry varieties Autumn Bliss and Tulameen.
Raspberries of the Zyugan variety have upright shoots, vigorous and quite powerful bushes. The berries have a pleasant bright red color, large, optimally suitable for freezing. The variety is recommended for cultivation in open ground. The fruiting period is very long.
The variety bears fruit from July to the first frost. Berries are not only very tasty, but also quite flat, as well as transportable. The crop lasts up to four days under normal conditions and at least a week in a refrigerator. High yield of extra-class berry, which, with proper care, can be at least 9%. The average mass of marketable berries, subject to growing technology, reaches 6-7 g.
Plants are resistant to low temperature conditions. The variety is distinguished by the ability to form two crops in one season on last year and annual shoots. Due to the presence of a very powerful root system and strong shoots, this variety is very often cultivated without the use of special supports and trellises.
Raspberry “Zyugana”: variety description
Repair raspberry "Sugana" should be planted, adhering to the technology and the following agricultural requirements:
- raspberries really need warmth and sufficient sunlight, so plants need to be planted in protected from the wind, but well-lit areas, preferably elevated, without a high occurrence of groundwater;
- remontant raspberries of this variety can grow well and bear fruit abundantly on almost any soil, but preference should be given to loose and fertile soils;
- remont raspberries do not like acidic soil on the site, so before planting a berry shrub, you need to make a good liming;
- to stimulate the growth and development of raspberries, a sufficient amount of nutrients is required, which is recommended to be embedded in planting pits or trenches;
- the soil in the planting pits should be abundantly moistened, local fertilizing is allowed;
- the basic planting scheme for repair varieties is represented by a distance of 3x0.25 m, but a two-line landing can be used in accordance with the scheme 3.5 x 0.5 x 0.25 m;
- the optimal time for planting repair raspberries is the last decade of September or the early spring, before the plant begins to actively vegetate.
Immediately after planting, the rows or the entire area under the raspberries should be mulched, using for this purpose manure, humus or peat, with a layer of 6-8 cm.
It’s easy to take care of Zyugan raspberries. Like most berry bushes, remont raspberries need watering, loosening the soil, top dressing, and weed and pest control:
- hygrophilous plant, with a superficially located root system and needs regular and fairly plentiful watering, especially in dry seasons;
- raspberries require several top dressings during the growing season, so in the spring, immediately after the snow has melted, urea is necessarily added, and in the first ten days of September, plants need to be fertilized with minerals;
- the main phosphate fertilizer used to feed raspberries is superphosphate, and the best organic fertilizer is rotted manure;
- periodically planting raspberries must be carefully weeded, as well as loosen the earth around the berry bushes;
- it is necessary to loosen the soil around the bushes after each irrigation event or rain;
- the optimal layer of organic mulch for planting raspberries is not less than 10 cm of sawdust or peat moss.
The most important raspberry care measure is its regular pruning. Cut berry shrubs at the end of summer or in the first decade of autumn. After trimming, tying is done.
The Sugana variety is very powerful, therefore it is extremely rare to use supports, but to facilitate care it is recommended to use the trellis method of cultivation. Harvesting is done as the berries ripen. For longer storage, it is recommended to harvest in the early morning.
We also offer you to get acquainted with the varietal characteristics of raspberries "Caramel".
Raspberry “Zyugana” is a very common variety in the southern regions of our country, as well as in Ukraine. According to gardeners, plants can be pruned for the winter, like a regular repairing variety, but most often shoots are left for the second summer crop. The variety "Sugana" rightfully belongs to the best repairing raspberry varieties from the nursery company "Lubera".
How to plant raspberries
The excellent appearance of the berry, a very high yield, as well as the ability to store and transport make this variety one of the most promising for growing for subsequent sale. Raspberry Sugana forms a large number of shoots, which greatly facilitates reproduction. The variety is hassle-free and shows excellent survival rate in home gardens and garden plots in central Russia.